You may wonder how to delete a Facebook account but are not sure. Alternatively, you want a break but want to delete posts from years ago and are worthy of a cringe or two.
Going back through your old posts and deleting them one by one can take ages, and you find you are posting faster than you can remove.
Luckily, you can make this much easier on yourself and hide your posts from your timeline, or you can delete them in bulk.
Here, we show you all the options to clean up your Facebook profile before taking a break from social media.
Remove Shared Posts
If you remove posts shared on your Facebook page, it will remove them permanently from your activity log.
Here is how to delete a post from your page.
- Head to the desired post on your page timeline
- Click the three dots in the top-right hand corner
- Click ‘delete from the page.’
Hide From Timeline
You can find it is possible to hide some posts from your Facebook timeline. Included can be updated to cover photo and profile picture.
If you hide a Facebook post using this means, you will remove it from your page, although not from your activity log.
People who have an active role on your page can only see the activity log.
One thing to note is posts you’ve hidden, which were shared; these can still be visible to your audience in other areas of Facebook. Search and Newsfeeds being two areas.
Hidden photos are still visible if anyone goes to your page’s photo section.
To hide posts, follow these instructions:
- Navigate to the post on your page timeline
- Click the three dots in the top-right hand corner
- Click on ‘Hide from the timeline.’
If you want to unhide a post you have already hidden, do the following:
- Click on ‘settings’ toward the top of the page
- Select ‘activity log’ on the left column
- Select the circle with the line across the middle (red) at the side of the hidden post, then select ‘Allowed on the page.’
Bulk Delete Facebook Posts
When you want to remove Facebook posts, you can do so up to 50 at once, instead of the one-by-one method above.
- Using a web browser, go to Facebook.com and sign in. In the app, tap your profile icon (bottom menu iOS, top for Android)
- Select Manage Posts under post composer. Posts are displayed in a grid on Facebook.com or full posts in the app.
- Browser filters are in the left column and comprise Anyone, You, or Others.
- App Filters are at the top. Use the drop-down lists to select your filters
- On Facebook.com, select the square checkbox. In the app, tap the circular checkbox
- On Facebook.com, choose ‘Next’ in the app, and tap the trash can icon
- On Facebook.com, select Delete Posts, then Done. In the app, click Delete on the menu
This method can delete Facebook posts quicker than the delete single posts option, yet it can still take a while to go through years of old posts.
Luckily, there is a much faster way to deleting all Facebook posts. You can delete Facebook posts using a browser extension.
Social Book Post Manager
When looking at how to delete posts from Facebook in the least effort possible, there is nothing easier than using the Social Book Post Manager extension for Chrome or Chrome-based browsers.
If you are fed up with how Facebook uses its services for data gathering and surveillance, you can use this extension to delete Facebook posts in bulk.
Using this extension, you can delete all the posts you want before any given date, the types of posts you want to delete by using word searches.
Once you set your criteria, it is a matter of sifting through the posts listed and deciding if you want to delete all Facebook posts in bulk or keep some. (Learn How To Delete A Subreddit)
It is worth noting, before going too far using this extension, you may want to create a backup of your data. You can do this by selecting ‘Download a copy of all your data. Facebook will email you once this is ready.
- Install the Social Book Post Manager extension
- Open Facebook in the browser and navigate to your Activity Log. Access Activity Log by clicking the down arrow next to the question mark.
- Select the Activity Log link, and you will see all your Facebook activity, including added friends, posts you made, and posts you clicked on like. Here, click the filter you wish to delete
- For example, to remove your posts, select posts, which is the third option in the menu.
- Select the Social Book Post Manager’s icon to activate the extension
- The Social Book extension opens with a list of filters you can select for deleting Facebook posts
- Filters determine which posts you will be removing. You can filter by years, months, and even keyword strings. You have the option of pre-scanning the page so you can double-check the posts.
- Click the Confirmation button to delete them.
- Click the OK button, close the alert, and review your activity log.
- If you are OK with the selected posts, click on Confirm to delete
Out of all the methods or extensions that say they can access Facebook, mass delete posts safely and securely. You find this extension is the best and safest one to use.
On some occasions, users say the pre-scan may cause issues, but mass deleting all your posts from Facebook without checking those works without problems.
To regain privacy from this social giant has never been easier; now, you can deactivate your account or delete it altogether, knowing you don’t have any stray posts viewable by anyone.