A Virtual Private Network (abbreviated as VPN) allows you to surf the internet with anonymity and thus helps in protecting your privacy. It hides your activity from the ISP or the network administrator. But for most of the users, VPN is also a tool to access blocked services. They virtually relocate the device; by giving it an IP address from the region, the user wants to.
You may need to use a VPN software if the ISP or the government is blocking the services you prefer to use. If you want to set up a VPN Windows 10 offers a straightforward setup process. You don’t need your service provider’s VPN client for Windows 10.
You may use a free VPN for Windows 10, but ExpressVPN is the best. We are giving a step-by-step process below to setup a VPN connection using the Windows 10 built-in VPN feature. You would need your ExpressVPN login details.
How to create a VPN in Windows 10
Let’s first get your login details for the VPN connection, Windows 10 would need. You first, of course, need to create an account with ExpressVPN. Then follow these steps:
- Open the link sent to you in the welcome email or login to the ExpressVPN account directly, to “Set up ExpressVPN.”
- Click on “Manual Config” and select PPTP & L2TP-IPSec.
- The screen displays your username and password and the server addresses.
- Either note these down or keep the screen open to enter the details when asked.
Now that you have the connection details, proceed to set-up the connection:
- Click the Internet Access icon on the system tray.
- Once the list opens, click to open “Network and Internet settings.”
- In the window that opens, go to “VPN” from the sidebar.
- Select “Add a VPN connection.”
- The VPN provider is “Windows (built-in).”
- Give a name to identify the connection.
- Enter the Server address you would like to use, from the list you got with the login details.
- Select “PPTP” as the VPN type and “Username and password” as sign-in info.
- Enter your login details next, i.e., the username and password.
- Check “Remember my sign-in info” box and click “Save.”
Your VPN connection is created and should now be available in the list of connections. You can create different connections to connect to your preferred locations.
If the process looks too complicated, you can simplify it by downloading the ExpressVPN client for Windows 10. The set-up process is quite easy.
i) Open the link sent to you in the welcome email or login to the ExpressVPN account directly.
ii) Click “Set up ExpressVPN”
iii) On the download page, your “activation code” is also displayed. Note it down or copy it. You need it to complete the setup process
iv) Install the application and the required drivers. The process is same as installing other software. Nothing technical.
v) When the installation process completes, exit the Setup Wizard and launch the application.
Now that you have installed the client, set up the connection. Enter the “activation code” on the setup screen. Follow the steps, and once you see the successful activation screen, your work is done.
Connect to a VPN server
After the setup is complete and you have activated the client, using ExpressVPN is very simple. To connect to a server, click the ON button. Once the connection is on, your anonymous journey begins. You are now protected (at least on the Internet). When you want to disconnect, click on the same button.
The Smart Location feature is turned on by default. This Smart Location selects a suitable server for your location, which it thinks fit. But you can choose any server you want to connect to.
With a VPN, you get to enjoy these facilities:
• It encrypts the traffic and keeps it safe from the reach of people looking out for your browsing data.
• Some of the websites may be blocked in your region. You can access them through a VPN server.
• It is also possible that prices of sure things are different for different regions. So, you can get cheaper deals at times.
• As the traffic is encrypted, your data is safe even on unsecured networks.
• They also improve productivity because one doesn’t need to worry about security.
Apart from these general features, a company’s own VPN server lets you access the files on the company’s network from a remote location via the Internet.