Although the Warner Bros HBO Max release date was way back in May 2020, many are still not sure all that it contains and how it can impact many other streaming services.
Many individuals search how to watch HBO Max outside the US, as the service is geo-restricted. Even with some countries having licensing deals with HBO, these don’t offer as much content as the primary service.
In our guide, you can learn all you need about what is on offer from HBO max, what has happened to the other HBO services, and how you can stream HBO Max from outside the United States.
Where is HBO Max Available?
HBO Max is available inside the USA and region-locked. If you try to access HBO Max from outside the US, then this error might appear on your screen: “This site is not available in your region.”
Currently, you have the United States, and next year, they plan to add Latin America and then spread into Europe
However, as there are deals in place, the global roll-out may not be as fast as anyone wants.
For instance, in the UK, Sky is home to HBO content via the Sky Atlantic and Now TV packages.
There is an extended deal with Bell Media in Canada to watch HBO Max movies and shows online.
Australia follows suit with the deals that allow Foxtel to have the broadcasting rights, and here, they split the content between Foxtel and Binge.
Sadly, in any of these regions, anyone who thinks they can watch shows or series like Friends will be disappointed as this remains on HBO Max exclusively.
However, anyone looking to stream friends won’t be able to find it as Netflix will keep the rights to the epic sitcom in the region. (Learn How to Watch HBO Now in Canada)
What is Available on HBO Max?
Any subscribers will find HBO Max includes access to more than 10,000 hours of shows and movies at the launch time. With this, there’s more than enough for all the family’s tastes to watch on your Amazon Fire TV or the HBO Max app and other devices.
There is full access to all of Warner Bros library, which is extensive. Here are some examples of what you can find on the service.
Warnermedia Shows and Movies
HBO Shows and Movies
You can enjoy some of the most popular TV series like:
- Game of Thrones
- Raised by Wolves
- His Dark Materials
- The Undoing
You can also find plenty of Hollywood hits. Besides the most current blockbusters, you’ll find the greatest of WarnerMedia movies and Turner Classic Movies from decades ago, such as:
- The Wizard of Oz (1939)
- The Goonies
- Superman – all movies
- Batman – every movie
Classic TV Series
You will find many new shows, yet the classics are still there for anyone who wants Max everything. Here are some of the shows like Friends to binge and some of the most loved Warnermedia TV channels.
Warner Bros, DC, TNT, Cartoon Network, Studio Ghibli, Adult Swim, and Max Originals.
Max Originals and classics include:
- Curb Your Enthusiasm
- Veep (2012)
- The Larry Sanders Show
- Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
- Rick and Morty, South Park
- Doctor Who
- Friends, The Big Bang Theory
- The Sopranos
The are many blockbusters with films like:
- Wonder Woman
- A Star Is Born
- The Lord of the Rings
You can access up to 700 blockbuster movies on HBO Max as soon as you subscribe to the service.
HBO Max Device Compatability
HBO Max works on all Apple devices like iPhone, iPod, iPad, and Apple TV
in HD and 4K.
You can use the HBO Max app on Apple devices if you are an HBO subscriber.
Furthermore, you can use any Android device, Android TV, Smart TVs, Browsers, PlayStation, and Xbox; you can also use browsers directly from the website to stream HBO Max.
If you have an Amazon Fire TV, there were some concerns as Amazon didn’t have rights, although now, Amazon Fire TV is working, and it stands that there are only Roku devices that don’t have support. (Read HBO Go Content Not Available Error – What To Do)
You can, however, cast to your TV set from Roku devices with existing HBO services. Roku will have the HBO Now app.
Amazon’ s Fire devices have only just received this support.
HBO GO vs. HBO NOW vs. HBO Max?
Here is one area that confuses many. HBO added a third streaming service with Max. Here you can see how all this is cleared up with HBO Go and HBO Now.
- HBO Go – This no longer exists. HBO Go was for existing HBO subscribers who wished to stream online.
- HBO Now – HBO Now was a standalone streaming service like Disney Plus etc. You will find HBO Now content is what you find on Roku until things are sorted. HBO Now also no longer exists in most cases.
What was HBO Now is now plain HBO, and HBO Max is the streaming arm of HBO
How to Watch HBO Max Online?
When trying to watch HBO Max online, any AT&T customers will find themselves in the same situation if outside the country. However, customers of AT&T who subscribe to HBO get HBO Max at no extra cost.
Besides this, inside the USA, you can sign in with your TV provider. Although, outside the USA, this doesn’t help anyone and you will need a VPN to access any of the services since there are geo-restrictions in place. Here are the basic instructions you need to follow to sign up directly with HBO Max. (Read Netflix Free Trial Without Credit Card)
You can, however, sign up through any of these:
- Stores: Amazon Appstore, Apple App Store, Google Play, and Samsung TV
- Online Streaming Platforms: Hulu, Prime Video Channels, and YouTube TV
Signing in to watch HBO
- Subscribe to the best VPN for streaming
- Install the VPN app and log in using your details
- Connect to a USA server from the server list.
- Sign in to play.hbomax.com (you can also use the HBO Max app).
Sign up for HBO Max
- Head to HBOMax.com/subscribe on your computer or your phone.
- Fill out the new account form, and select ‘Create Account.’ Use these details to sign in with your password.
- Add your payment method and enter a promo code if you have one
- New subscribers get 7 days free, and then the HBO Max cost is $14.99 per month.
- Select ‘Start Subscription’
- Select ‘Let’s Go’
- Sign in to start HBO streaming
Pay for HBO Max
One drawback of HBO Max is that you need to use an American credit card that can be limiting compared to Netflix or Disney Plus.
You do have two options.
- Use a friend or family US-based card
- Subscribe using HBO gift cards
Here are both ways you can pay for the service.
- Use Someone’s Credit Card to pay for HBO
- If you know anybody in the USA, create your HBO Max account with their card.
- Log in to your VPN app and change the server to an American one
- Open your browser and head to the HBO Max website
- Click on “Start Your Free Trial”
- On the Sign In page, click on “Sign Up”
- Enter your first and last name and an email address for your account.
- Add the other person’s card details. Make sure you use a zip that matches the region you set your VPN.
Pay for HBO with Gift Cards
- Head to Mygiftcardsupply.com or another online retailer and purchase an HBO Now gift card. (No Max cards exist at present)
- Head to subscribe.hbonow.com/gift. To redeem the HBO Now gift card, enter the gift card code and US zip code
- Enter your email address you want to sign up with, and add your first and last name
- Navigate to play.hbomax.com
- Sign in to HBO Max using the email address you provided previously
Besides going this way to get HBO Max and the HBO app, you can add the service to Hulu or one of the other streaming partners with deals.
Any of these allow you to download the HBO Max app, Max HBO app, or sign in through the service to access HBO Max content on your Apple TV or compatible devices.
Choosing the right VPN is vital as not all work to access HBO online, watch a video of Cartoon Network or the best from Studio Ghibli. (Find The Best VPN for HBO)
A premium VPN will bypass everything and grant you access to the current HBO content and everything they add in the future.