The world of tennis is getting ready for the largest event on the tennis calendar. On July 1st 2019 for 2 weeks, there is none-stop action.
There will be big names like Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal hoping to clinch the men’s singles.
Unfortunately, viewers won’t catch Andy Murray due to surgery, but he may make an appearance in the doubles.
All eyes will be on Serena Williams to see if she can, do it all again for an eighth Wimbledon win.
Not just being the oldest tennis tournament in the world, Wimbledon is the oldest. The first tournament was back in 1877, and was held at the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club.
However, unlike the Australian Open, the French Open, and the Davis Cup which is the World Cup of tennis.
Wimbledon is played on grass and delivers a faster game than the others deliver. It is the most prestigious grand slam of all, and it is the one trophy any player wishes to hold high in their career.
The problem is, for cord cutters it can be hard to find places to watch the ultimate in lawn tennis without cable.
Luckily, this guide shows how to do exactly that. Before you know it, you can be watching Wimbledon tennis online, and free.
How to Stream Wimbledon free online with a VPN
ExpressVPN the most speed for streaming
- Sign up for ExpressVPN – This is the best VPN to stream. With a large network of optimized servers in 94 countries. You can stream any on-line channel to watch online tennis from Wimbledon. It comes with a 30-day money back guarantee, so you can use it to live stream Wimbledon free.
- ExpressVPN Apps – All the VPN apps features are easy-to-use, and run on all the major platforms. You can stream matches to any device. ExpressVPN runs on Android, iOS, Mac, Windows, and Linux. It can be configured on Roku, routers, PlayStation, Xbox, Smart TVs, and more. The good news is they now support 5 devices simultaneously connecting
- Connect to Country, and Watch Wimbledon Online – Select a server in the country the desired channel is available. Click to connect and watch online tennis from Wimbledon. You can even watch it on your Amazon Fire TV with this VPN.
NordVPN a decent performer
- Create an account with NordVPN – NordVPN delivers great security. It has good speeds, and covers 60 countries. It bypasses geo-restrictions and offers a 30-day refund. Nord also allows 6 simultaneous connections.
- Installing NordVPN – NordVPN supports a broad variety of devices. It covers most desktops, iOS and Android. You can configure several different devices that don’t have client software.
- Wimbledon streaming On-line – Select a country where there is Wimbledon live streaming services. Wait until the app connects, and choose your service.
- Join CyberGhost – Navigate to the company site and fill in the simple sign-up form. CyberGhost delivers an easy-to-use UI and good streaming speed between UK and USA. It supports 60 countries, and comes with a 45-day money-back guarantee.
- CyberGhost Install – CyberGhost supports the main devices. Users can watch Wimbledon online at home or on the go. It has great security and makes things easy for users to connect to streaming services.
- Choose country – change the country in the app. Once it connects, you can stream in 4K on a range of devices.
- Start with Surfshark – Visit the company site and sign up easily. It only has 800 servers and covers 50 countries. It is easy to use and offers a one-month refund.
- Install – It supports Windows, Android and iOS and MacOS among others. It is easy to use and delivers a great way to watch tennis online streaming with unlimited bandwidth, on unlimited simultaneous connections.
- Choose your country – from the list. Select a country and service where there is Wimbledon coverage so you can watch the matches.
Where can I watch Wimbledon online?
Viewers in the USA can use a skinny bundle like below, or through a VPN, they can sign up to the iPlayer in the UK.
ESPN+ – This is broadcasting matches from Wimbledon. It costs very little, but isn’t the best standalone service.
Fubo TV – $54.99 with Fubo extra add-on $5.99
PlayStation Vue – PlayStation Vue has ESPN in all plans. Select the smallest for tennis. 5-day free trial. Has Tennis channel on upper plans. $44.99 – $79.99
Hulu with Live TV – Hulu with Live TV offers lots aside from Wimbledon online. You have access to ESPN to watch the Wimbledon matches live, or record them with DVR. $44.99 for live TV plan.
Luckily, viewers in the UK have the upper hand. The BBC iPlayer will have full coverage. However, if you are outside the country over the first two weeks of July, you need a VPN to catch up with the tennis on the iPlayer.
Canadian tennis lovers can either watch the Wimbledon Championships on TSN or CTV. These two services come with apps, but there is a cost to get access to live stream Wimbledon.
Using a virtual private network, viewers can sign up to any of the American services or the iPlayer and watch online for free.
Australia has the pleasure of 600 hours of coverage of watching Wimbledon on Foxtel/ Kayo.
So, some of the action may be missed. Foxtel Now is an option in Australia, can run in browsers (Chrome), and is available for Android and iOS. It also runs on Chromecast, TV’s and PlayStation.
The cheaper and best option is to get a VPN service and hitch a free ride on the BBC with the iPlayer. There is an easy sign up and it is free to watch.
Although Ireland is close to the UK, they don’t have access to the BBC directly. To watch Wimbledon, they have options such as streaming from bet365 where they have to fund their betting account, or they can sign up for Amazon Prime who has streaming rights.
A more beneficial way is to sign up for a VPN, do as others, and connect directly to the BBC. This gives them many more options and benefits.
European countries have Eurosport 2 which is showing Wimbledon, but this is part of a cable subscription, and the Indian continent has Star Sports or the Hotstar app.
The Middle East has beIN Sports, while other countries have their own cable or satellite channels that are broadcasting.
Like other countries who have no free to air coverage, the best way is to follow the US options and make use of a VPN and connect to the US streaming companies, or sign up for the BBC directly.
A VPN will also get around any censorship some countries may impose for watching sports outside their country.
Wimbledon first began with the Gentleman’s singles, and the men’s doubles was introduced in 1884.
Since then, the contests have been standardized with the singles for men, men’s doubles, mixed doubles, ladies’ doubles, and the ladies’ singles.
The first Round is on July 1st and 2nd and the finals are on the 13th July for the Women, and Sunday 14th July for the men’s final. If you like the mixed doubles, ladies’ doubles or the men’s doubles. The draws have yet to take place.
The Center Court is the most prestigious where the top Wimbledon matches are played. Now, we will look at how you can get full coverage of Wimbledon without cable, and how you can watch Wimbledon live online.
The 2019 Wimbledon Tournament begins on July 1st 2019, and runs until July 14th when the finals for the men will be played.
Time of play starts at 12.00pm GMT on the outer courts, and 1.00pm on the centre court for the games running up to the finals. Both the women’s and the finals for the men start at 2.00pm GMT.
For any tennis fan around the world who wishes to use a VPN and sign up to watch Wimbledon on the BBC.
Watch Wimbledon on the BBC iPlayer
- Go to the BBC web page: https://account.bbc.com/signin. You create your account here.
- There is an option for “Don’t have a BBC account.” Click the “Register Now” button.
- First is give your age. The site checks you are under 13 or over. Select “over 13.” Then enter your date of birth.
- On the next page, enter your email address and create your password
- Underneath, select the United Kingdom
- Add a UK postcode. If you know anyone in the UK, use theirs. You can find them on the internet (hotel postcodes are ideal to use).
- Complete the “Gender” option.
- “Do you want email updates?” select “no,” unless you want marketing emails from the BBC.
- The final step is to click the “Register,” button.
You will be asked if you are the holder of a BBC TV license. Make sure you click the “Yes” option. If you say no, it will stop you going any further.
You can download programs in SD or HD as long as you install the BBC downloads app. The service is free of charge, so once you have your VPN you can watch everything as it happens in glorious 4K
With all the above information, you can select the preferred VPN, and use the first month like a trial period.
You can test all the features as well as access the iPlayer or the above services. Choose any that have the longest free introduction and you have lots of options to watch Wimbledon online, watch free, and check out some great TV or movies in between matches